Saturday, October 17, 2009

For whisky lovers

We've only been to three distilleries so far (with at least two more on the horizon), but between those visits, the Scotch Whisky Experience in Edinburgh, and the curator of the Whisky Castle in Tomintoul, I've learned quite a few things about whisky I hadn't known before:

* the charring of the casks has NO direct effect on the flavor; rather, it simply burns away the dead closed layer of wood to open the pores and allow the oak to flavor the spirit.
* shaking an unopened bottle is a good way to determine body. If a head forms for 30 seconds or more after shaking, the whisky will have a rich texture.
* age is NOT everything. One would be wise to look for non-chill filtered specimens with no color added, even if a few years younger.

I'm taking copious notes on all my tastings and am getting kind of obsessive about it, so I'll probably bore many of you in person about this subject soon enough. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment