Saturday, October 17, 2009

Nightfall in Thurso

Castletown isn't much to speak of and the town's only bank was down an ATM, so since the Greenland Guest House only takes cash at the moment, we ventured into town for money and dinner.

Thurso proper is bigger than we figured, and is comparable to a slightly more compact Hillsboro. It was easy to find an ATM so once I got our money I went on a hunt for a dining spot, which was surprisingly difficult for a Saturday night...everything was pretty much closed by 5 and the downtown walking mall was a ghost town save for some roving bands of miscreant teens (dadburn goodfernuthins).

But Le Bistro was open so we popped in and were greeted happily (even without a reservation!) and treated to a wonderful meal of fresh seafood, succulent sides and tasty Spanish wine. The haggis packets were superb (did I mention I've fallen in love with the national dish?) and the meringue with berries and cream for dessert sent me over the top such that I'm now immobile in front of the tube watching bad British TV.

So for those keeping track...the food here so far has been OUTSTANDING, and not just because I'm fond of the Horsebrass.


- Posted using BlogPress from my fake iPhone

1 comment:

  1. I told you you'd like Haggis!! I found it comforting =-) really (we're Thomson don't ya know)

    ReplyDelete